Friday 2 January 2015

Saying No || Natural High Project

Today's theme is Saying No.
Peer pressure is so common now a days because it's the social norm for teenagers to drink or do drugs. But I'm one of the few individuals that says no to both.
Peer pressure started for me when I was about 15/16. My brother is two years older so I just knew that going out and getting drunk was quite a regular thing. The pressure came from my year group at parties and gatherings where everyone thought they were cool because they drank and they were underage. That's when I first felt it because I did used to drink then. I never got drunk but I made sure I had a bottle in my hand and occasionally drank from it to make it seem like I did. I guess I just wanted to fit in and not for anyone to ask me any questions about why I didn't drink.
But then I realised that I didn't like the effect it had on my body. It makes my head feel weird and some people might feel good that way but I most certainly didn't. 

But as I turned 16 I realised that what's the point in even pretending, it doesn't do me any good, in fact it ruined my night because it made me feel worse and sick so really I was having bad times just to please the people around me. So I stopped. And when people asked I just said, 'I don't drink.' And at first of course I got people calling me or asking me why not but I just kept repeating myself. And growing up doing that, you realise that it does get easier and easier to say no to peer pressure and not care what people think of you when you say that. I had one comment where they said, 'how can you not drink? I'm really boring when I haven't had a few.' And I just looked him in the eye and said, 'That just shows what your personality is like.' 

Because not drinking will never stop me from going out. I'm out every single time my friends are and I always have a great night. I'm always the first and the last one dancing and I don't need any alcohol to make me be this way. I sometimes get people telling me I'm drunk and when I tell them I'm completely sober they don't believe me, so I just leave them to it because if they want to think that then let them. I know now that I don't need to give excuses as to why I don't drink. 
I'm not against people who actually do drink, I won't give someone a hard time unless it ruins their night, because I know they brought it on themselves. For myself I've realised that there's more important things in life than getting so drunk I don't remember the amazing night I had. 

Luckily now the people I actually care about know that I don't drink so they have the respect to not pressure me and the people I don't care about just get a polite decline. That's all from just saying no, eventually they just gave up trying so if you are going through peer pressure then just know as long as you keep just saying no, it does get easier.

I didn't get properly introduced to drugs until recently in university. Drugs like weed, cocaine and MDMA are popular, but just like alcohol, drugs just didn't interest me. I recently saw a guy nearly overdose on many different drugs and he was throwing up everywhere and not able to stand up. I just don't understand why you would want to be like that. What's the point of a few hours feeling great when you spend the next day feeling the worst? It is really worth it? It's the same with alcohol, it only lasts a night and I love waking up in a morning feeling fresh whilst all my friends around me have hangovers. 

What I'm saying is that it gets easier. Take a deep breath, politely say 'No thanks,' and move on. If they carry on just keep replying with the same thing. And if they become forceful I think you really need to reconsider the people you hang out with.

And as you get older it does get a lot easier, people care less what you do and leave you to yourself. Trust me.

As always join us at Natural High or keep up to date with our social media sites by using the tag #TheNaturalHighProject. Also tweet me 0SarahHelene0 for a chance to be featured in my next blog post!

Stay Happy you beautiful people,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment