Monday 7 April 2014

#bloggersdoitbetter Week 1!

So finally it's the first week of the #bloggersdoitbetter Challenge! I've been so excited to finally write about it. If you don't know what it is check out my earlier post about it here!

So basically the challenge is to write a post that's out of your comfort zone to broaden your post and be more creative. And this weeks theme is Spring! I was so excited about this weeks theme because you can really do anything with it, food, fashion, beauty, lifestyle, memories etc.
But being me, I chose food!

I've never done a food post before so this weekend I decided to make Spring/Easter inspired cupcakes and I'm going to tell you how I made them!

Recipe:
Cupcakes
150ml Vegetable Oil
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
75g Unrefined Caster Sugar
150g Self-raising Flour

Buttercream
140g Unsalted Butter
250g Icing Sugar
1-2 tbsp Milk
few drops of food colouring

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 170C or gas mark 3 and line a muffin tray with 10-12 paper cases.
(I used twelve :))
These adorable spring cases were £1.22 from Asda and the colours are so cute!

2. Next whisk together the oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until well blended. ( You could use a hand whisk or electric whisk)

It should look like this (at least mine did!)

3. Then add the sugar and flour and whisk until well blended.
And mine ended up like this. I thought it was quite thick for cake mix but it worked anyways!

4. Then spoon it into the cases and put in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. If you want to check if they're cooked properly then insert the tip of a knife/skewer through the middle and if it comes out clean then it's cooked!

5. Next for the butter cream. Put the butter into a bowl and beat until soft.

6. Then add half the sugar and beat until smooth.

7. And then add the remaining icing sugar and if you want the butter cream to be smoother just add a tbsp of milk and mix it all together.

8. Add a few drops of the food colouring and mix together.
(we made a spring green colour, and it was supposed to be pink but turned out orange :( ooops but it's still quite a spring colour!)

9. And then either spread your butter cream over the top of the cupcakes or if you have a piping bag then you could use that. If you don't have a piping bag then you could make your own like we did!
We just got a normal sandwich bag or freezer bag and then put all of the icing in and squeezed it into one corner. We then snipped off a tiny bit of the corner so the icing could come out. 
You then just squeeze and swirl the icing around her cakes! (it does get a bit messy!)


10. And lastly just decorate your cakes with whatever you want! For ours we used Mini Eggs to plop on the top to give it a cute Spring look. You could use chocolate eggs, flakes, or sprinkles to make these look even more delicious.

The final product!!

( I also added some cheeky sprinkles on there)

Anyways I'm quite chuffed with how these turned out, and they were really easy to make. They're also pretty delicious!! 
I also quite enjoyed writing this post, I might do more food posts in the future!

Anyways thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this little recipe of something I love to do in my spare time.
Also keep posted so you know how to make these fabulous cupcakes (I couldn't just make one batch now could I? ;))

Stay Happy!
Sarah











16 comments:

  1. These look delicious!!
    Tania xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this, I love how you have added the mini eggs, bet they tasted yummy! I have a widget on my post so you can add your link and people will be able to read your post!

    Gemma xxx
    http://touchofbelle.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/bloggersdoitbetter-spring-memory.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome :) I've just submitted I think haha xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh wow these look so yummy I may have to make some myself xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, these look so delicious! What a great post idea for the challenge too! Well done!
    Catherine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You decorated them so lovely! I know what I'm baking this weekend!
    Andreea | http://catsfika.blogspot.ro/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Those really look like professional cupcakes. Thanks for sharing the recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow these look delicious, I am a cupcake addict! Think I may try this recipe out :-)

    thebigmegowski.blogspot.ie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. those sound amazing! I am totally going to try this out soon!
    -Sisi
    Modern Beauty Girl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those really do look just too cute to eat! I betcha they tasted delicious. I really have to try making some nice icing like that soon...

    Check out my version of this challenge: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/04/spring-bucket-list-bloggers-do-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! These cupcakes are beautiful. I love the little easter eggs. HAHA, nice post :)
    Olive Needs Popeye

    ReplyDelete